Your girl has been slackin’ in the fitness department lately. It all started with a 10 day vacation to the United Kingdom in September, coupled with starting a new job in October, and here we are half-way through November and I’m still not really back at it. Isn’t it funny how little disruption it takes to throw off a routine you’ve had for so long?
My goal is always to work out and eat right Monday through Friday, and then relax on the weekend. It’s the 80/20 rule (or if you’re picky the 71/29 rule) that has worked really well for me in the past.
I’ll post about the effect that becoming pescatarian has had on my body overall at another time, but for now let’s stick to how I’m conquering my workouts after a few months off and getting back to my 71/29 lifestyle.
I’ve had to accept that with my new job I can’t always count on my lunch hour to go to the gym. So I go to the gym on days that I can, but on those that I can’t I turn to Pinterest for some at-home workouts.
I’ve found a few that are 20-30 minutes long and require no equipment, so I get my Power Workout Spotify playlist going in my room and knock them out before dinner. Last night I timed myself on this 10-1 Bodyweight one and finished in 28:47. It was a lot harder than I expected considering you go down from 10 reps!
In the grand scheme of things, 30 minutes or less isn’t that much of your personal time to set aside for your health.
And when all else fails, you can motivate yourself to workout with some new workout wear, right? On Tuesday I wore my favorite workout tee (THE BEST! I have it in about 6 colors), new pink leggings with a little ankle detail, and some new black sneakers.
I’m usually a strict Asics lover, but I decided to branch out to these Reeboks when I saw them on sale. I ran in them for the first time this week, and my feet need to get used to them a bit more but overall I liked the way they felt. And since they’re black they’ll always match the rest of my workout gear 🙂
Since I’m posting about my latest workout routine it only makes sense to post the Fit Girl Gift Guide, right?
1. Touchscreen Active Gloves – These are so much better than your average gloves for winter running. The touchscreen fingertip will let your friend use her smartphone, and the silicone grip on the palms will prevent her from accidentally dropping her phone while she runs. I use a similar pair when I walk Rascal every morning so I can check emails with warm hands.
2. Wireless Headphones – You can’t work out when you’re tangled in your headphone wires. Wireless is the way to go to avoid the tangles and with 8 hours of battery life you can get a lot of workouts in before having to recharge.
3. FlipBelt – I need one of these already! I am always juggling my gym card and keys at the gym, and this stretchy belt can hold a lot while laying smoothly at your waist.
4. Goodwipes – With everyone’s busy schedules, it’s not always possible to shower after a sweaty workout session before heading to your next event for the day. These wipes are easy to toss in your gym bag and use to freshen up post workout. So fresh and so clean, clean!
5. No Pain No Champagne Workout Tank – Has there ever been a graphic tank with truer words? I don’t think so.
6. Yoga Mat – Even if your friend isn’t a yogi, a yoga mat is great to have on hand for doing some at-home workouts like I mentioned earlier.
7. Jump Rope – Jump ropes aren’t just for kids. They’re a great way to get your heart rate going and warm up your muscles before a workout, or to incorporate into some interval training.
8. Water Bottle – I have this water bottle in a different pattern and love it! It keeps my water icy cold all day and let’s be honest, it’s just cute.
9. Gym Tote – Duffel bags can be bulky, so I prefer a gym tote instead. I actually have an older version of this one and it’s the perfect size for a change of clothes and to store the essentials. I think a great gift idea would be to get this cute tote and fill it up with some of the other goodies on the list to make a bigger present.